Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 21:13:15 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Q <q_dolan@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

Q wrote:
> I have been burnt by this in the past also. I think that it would be
> useful if you could allow kernel modules to be bound to a particular
> kernel "version/date/whatever", and have external modules refuse to load
> and/or complain if the kernel is upgraded. This should prevent
> unnecessary kernel panics when you upgrade. The Linux kernel has been
> doing this for years.
>
> Seeya...Q

For the love of god, no!  This creates a support nightmare.  What
happens when a user installs his system and recompiles the kernel
without changing the source at all?  His modules won't work, but
there is no reason why they shouldn't.  What if one of those now
non-working modules is a driver for his hard drive?

Scott