Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:39:02 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, domi <domi@saargate.de>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: Receive mails for every subdomain

> On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:20:05PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > > Is it possible to make sendmail route all mail to localpart@*.domain.com
> > > to localpart@domain.com?
> >
> > Should be... if your MX is (say) mx.domain.com try something like
> >
> > .domain.com smtp:[mx.domain.com]
> >
> > in your mailer table and
> >
> > *.domain.com. IN MX 0 mx.domain.com.
> >
> > in your DNS.  See src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README for details.
>
> i've been wondering about this sort of entry in the dns table
> fro some time. i've asked several people about the posibilities
> and have been told that this particular habit is frowned upon
> and should be avoided.
>
> also, i've been trying to glean some infromation from the bible,
> aka mr craig hunts excellent tome 'tcp/ip network administration'
> from o'rielly and assoc. also, the dns & bind book by the way a new
> edition is out, ed 4 .. i think.
>
> all i've namaged to get is conflicting stories ranging from
> "its benign and not rela helpfull" to " it is the destruction
> of dns as we know it", to say the least i'm confused as i'm
> sure many others are who need this (same type of) facility.
>
> some enlightenment would be apreciated.

Heh, well I'm certainly the last person to invite to this sort of
argument :-]  I've read the first 200 pages of the second edition
O'Reilly Sendmail book and the rest of my knowledge in this area
comes from trying things out and making things up :*)

I don't see that wildcard MXs are really evil.  The argument is
probably that people shouldn't be sending to arbitrary machines
unless your outgoing mail is misconfigured (dodgy from address).  It
certainly helps when it comes to things like news readers - it's
sometimes quite hard to get them to put your chosen email address on
the posting, they prefer the local canonical name - which may not
have a real IP etc....

> warm regards and with much thanks in advance
>
> cheers
>
> jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Michaels
> PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Cheers.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>