Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 98 19:12:12 -0800
From:      "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha port..

> Its currenly festering because it only runs static binaries.  It
> only runs static binaries because the current NetBSD/alpha pmap
> implementation is limited to a virtual address space of 8Gb.  This
> prevents dynamic binaries from running because the DU /sbin/loader
> wants to be loaded at 0x3ff80000000.  See
> sys/compat/osf1/README.dynamic for a much more detailed explaination.

And I must add for posterity that it wasn't done that way simply
because I'm an idiot, but rather because I wanted a working pmap
"immediately," and realized that the hp300 pmap and sed would get me
very, very close to what i wanted.  Working, but not quite as
featureful or performant as I might have wanted.  Pmap in a day.  8-)

Of course, I forgot to implement modify and reference bit emulation
(d'oh!) and had to implement that later, but...

chris