Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 07:55:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, tom@sdf.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

> > >   I think it bullshit.  I've never heard of this before.  Nor have you in
> > > the two times you've mentioned it, actually stated what is supposed to be
> > > so bad about it.
> >
> > more bits means more chance of error even if they are "error-correcting"
> > bits?
>
>   And how is that bad?  Even simple parity systems will catch 100% of all
> single bit errors, regardless of where the bit appears.
>
>   More bits mean more redundancy.  That means it gets safer, not riskier.
>
> Tom

 In reliability - more doesn't always mean safer.

 Say, for example, I spread my database across two disks - but both
have to be running for the software to gain access.  Then, I've just
doubled the probability of failure; not halved it.

 But - if I don't spread things out; but increase redundancy, I
may have improved the situation.  It depends on the path to the data
(recall your database theory - you need one way to access information,
redundancy in access paths can cause serious problems as well.)

	- Dave Rivers -