Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 08:40:23 -0700
From:      whitehat@home.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw woes

Hi..let me start by saying I have "RTFM" and looked for examples, but
none of them helped much.  So any help you can provide will be much
appreciated.  Here goes...

This is my first experience with ipfw, and I have struggled with rules
ever since day one.  X will not start, IRC will not work, etc.  My ideal
setup is this:  Deny by default, Allow X server connections by
localhost, allow all internet traffic from ed0 to my ISP (i use a cable
modem), allow IRC traffic, allow HTTP, and block everything else.  If
someone could direct me towards an example ruleset that would do that, I
would be EXTREMELY greatful.  Again, sorry for my newbie stupidity, i
apologize if it wasted your time.

-Jon,

Ex-linux user, New FreeBSD-devotee