Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:34:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates code not Prime Time yet.

For what it's worth, I didn't take Jordan's comment as a negative one,
and When I'm in a position to tackle it I'm sore it will be useful.
no-one expects soft-updates to be perfect ESPECIALLY on
SMP quite yet..
teh thing that is getting me is that FreeBSD has diverged enough from 4.4
that we appear to have a whole new depdndency path to intercept that kirk
hasn't had to deal with before..

the way I trap this is:
two machines sharing a SCSI bus.

one runs 'make world'
every now and then the 2nd machine forces it into the kernel debugger
(serial) and then does a fsck -n on the disk.
When this is complete the 2nd machine allows the 1st to continue.

If soft-updates were working, then there should never be any problem other
than 'free blocks marked in use'
or an unreferenced file.

but we are seeing some that are NOT supposed to happen.
(i.e the dependancies have not benn done in order).