Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 19:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: boot problem ?

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:

> How can this be so?  I had previously installed FreeBSD on this very
> same machine/partition!  Both times doing precisely the same thing;
> installing via ftp, and allowing the "auto" disklabel to name/size or
> whatever FreeBSD calls it during the process.  Since the installation
> works in all respects EXCEPT booting, the question really is how do I
> install the boot-manager again, and have it work?  I can run it if I boot
> from floppy, and enter this at the boot: prompt: wd(0,a)/kernel.  That
> works fine and the system runs as expected.  So, how do I correct the
> boot manager problem?  I've blown it away with an fdisk /MBR from
> DOS.  I just need to know how to go about reinstalling it.

I don't quite know what's going on, it should work fine.

In any case, to reinstall the boot manager:

1)  If you are running Windows95 or NT, find a DOS disk and boot from it.
Win95 and NT lock the MBR while they are running and won't allow you to
install the boot manager.

2)  On the CDROM in /tools or at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/(2.1.5-RELEASE?)/tools there is a
"bootinst.exe" utility and boot.bin file. Run bootinst.

3)  Your boot manager is now installed.

FreeBSD also provides the OS-BS Boot Manager is booteasy is giving you
pains.  OS-BS is a bit more robust than booteasy and may help in your
situaion where booteasy is having trouble finding & booting your disk.