Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 95 09:28:46 JST
From:      Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        <PaulC@mef.bdeoss.com>
Cc:        bsdcurrent <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   950412 SNAP ftp install (was: "")

>However, when I get to the bin
>installation procedure and ftp the files over to /usr/tmp, the checksum
>routine fails.  I don't think the checksums are the problem, as it responds
>too quickly without doing any work

I experienced similar case.

When I met it, I found that the "status" screen (Alt-F2) showed the
following messages:

	NcFTP: Could not get your passwd entry! (9): Bad file descriptor
	Login failed

After some investigation, I found the following facts:

	My system had no "/etc/passwd" at the momemt.  (This should be
	the reason NcFTP could not get the passwd entry...)

	I accessed a local ftp site to get bindist.

	The site runs a non-standard version of ftp srever.

	The server performs a "strict checking" on an email address
	sent as	a password for an anonymous user.

	The server had logged that anonymous ftp requests from my
	machine had been rejected because of "invalid" mail addresses
	as passwords.

	The mail address NcFTP sent started with '@' -- no local part
	in the address.

I invoked usual ftp, typed in my real email address, and then fetched
bindist manually.

This sounds like a bug of some kind...  but I'm slightly confused now,
because I found the ftp install sometimes success with the same boot
floppy and the same ftp site.

Hope this helps, anyway.