Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:42:31 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel clock runs inaccurately

As Eivind Eklund wrote:

> >   (They are probably living in somewhat of an ivory tower with
> > good NTP refclocks readily available on a cheap Internet, something
> > that is not my situation, sitting behind dialup lines everywhere.)
>
> Shouldn't it be still be possible to set up xntpd with
> drift-correction and synchronization often, and just suppress
> xntpd-messages from starting the ppp-link?

Too expensive still.  The dialup itself is ISDN, so the setup time is
~ 2 seconds or less, but having an xntpd calling each 5 or 15 minutes
would greatly increase our phone and Internet costs.

Btw., the DCF-77 receiver, with fallback to the system clock of the
machine hosting this receiver, seems to work well now.

--
cheers, J"org