Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:47:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkenn@rebel.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unkillable processes

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > The tcsh listed below that is a zombie of the running kvt.
>
> There aren't any zombies here.

Right, they'd show up as 'Z' in the state field, I'd guess.

> > This seems to be more of a kvt bug than a freebsd bug. :)
>
> I don't see that either.  The fact that process 1103 is stopped is one
> thing; is there a gdb process in sight?

Nope. I did attach to it with gdb at one point to try and figure out what
it was running, but because it was compiled w/o debugging symbols I didn't
get anything out of a backtrace except for something similar to:

#0  0x28557c28 in ?? ()
#1  0x804f0c7 in ?? ()
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0x2851f918 in ?? ()
#4  0x8053038 in ?? ()
#5  0x8050273 in ?? ()
#6  0x8056369 in ?? ()
#7  0x28388581 in ?? ()
#8  0x28388369 in ?? ()
#9  0x2838960c in ?? ()
#10 0x283882f5 in ?? ()
#11 0x805dca2 in ?? ()
#12 0x804f020 in ?? ()

(this is from process 92724 which is still running).

I might try and compile kvt with debugging support and see what it's
doing; I think I can repeat the problem at will.

Kris