Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Simon Clayton <Simon@businessmeetings.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: AMD Athlon Problems

On 11-Apr-00 Simon Clayton wrote:
> I am trying to install FreeBSD onto a PC running an Athlon 600 with
> 128Mb RAM, 3dfx Voodoo3 3000, 13Gb IDE etc.
>
> I have used both the FreeBSD 3.2 and 4.0 CDs from Walnut Creek, and
> also created the 2 disk boot set from the CD.
>
> I have tried a 4Mb Matrox AGP card instead of the Voodoo3, a different
> 128Mb stick of RAM and a different HD.  On either 3.2 or 4.0 I see
>
>       /boot.config: -P
>       Keyboard: no

It didn't find your keyboard, which is more of a BIOS problem than a CPU
problem.  Do you have a USB keyboard?  If not, try hitting space when you
first see the little spinning line (/-\|), then type '-h' at the boot:
prompt to force detection of the keyboard.

>       BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
>
> At which point the machine locks solid - caps lock won't even work.

It's not locked solid, it's just trying to install over the serial console
since it didn't find a keyboard.