Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:39:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lint^^ <lint@satan.reject.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: installation on Dell Precision 620 (AIC-7899)

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > thanks for the reply josh... i just have one (dumb) question for
> > you... how exactly should i go about disabling RAID mode and putting the
> > disks into straight SCSI mode? i've tried un-defining any and all RAID
> > arrays in the configuration tool that you can boot into off that 'dell
> > resource cd', i also tried making each disk its own RAID0, and making a
> > RAID0 consisting of both disks... also standalone.. no dice anywhere... am
> > i messing something up there?
> >
> > adam
> >
> On the machine we had, the aic-7899 was configured in the BIOS settings.  If
> you tell it to be a SCSI controller then FBSD should pick it up at boot
> time....no kernel mods needed.  AFAIK the RAID mode of that chip is not
> supported by FBSD and that is why you can't get it to find your devices.

apparently on the precision 620, you can't configure the 7899 in the BIOS
(other than disable/enable)... but the ARO-1302 RAID controller (the
offending part here) is positioned in an expansion slot, while the 7899
SCSI controller is embedded onto the motherboard. i can't remember if the
SCSI cable connecting the drives is plugged into the RAID controller or
not, but if they are, the solution seems to be pull them out of there,
plug them directly into the SCSI ports on the motherboard, and optionally
yank the ARO-1302 card until such time as a driver is
implemented. regarding SMP, i seem to remember previous threads on this
list saying that support for these SCSI chips _and_ SMP at the same time
was backported into 4.0-STABLE sometime in april/may ??

adam