Date:      28 Nov 2005 14:29:57 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <marco@beishuizen.info>
Subject:   Re: enabling audio cd sound in emu10kx driver

Marco Beishuizen <marco@beishuizen.info> writes:

> On stardate Mon, 28 Nov 2005, the wise Lowell Gilbert entered:
>
> > Sounds like you don't have an analog audio cable; these are not coming
> > installed standard as often as they used to, as Windows is doing
> > digital sound by default these days.  If this is the problem, you can
> > either put in such a cable yourself, or use digital audio (xmms can do
> > this easily, for example).
>
> Yes, I have the audio cable installed. I don't think that's the problem.

Darn.

> The problem is that the line (the one that is called "in1" in emuctrl)
> seems closed by default, and I have to open it (or set the volume to 100)
> by using a program like emuctrl. Using mixer doesn't work because it's
> unable to open/set "in1".

I don't know anything about this driver (you said you're using the one
from the audio/emu10kx port), but there seem to be a bunch of knobs to
play with.  One is the analog/digital mode, which may be related (as I
mentioned before, for a different reason, driving the audio in digital
mode may work for you.

You could also try the native emu10k1 driver, which is supposed to
handle the EMU10K2 and EMU10K3 chipset-based Audigy 2 cards.  You
didn't mention if you'd done that before.  [You also didn't mention
which version of FreeBSD you're running, which may turn out to be
relevant.]

Be well.
        Lowell
--
That's a really scary picture of Marco on his website...