Date:      Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:37:18 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Bryan H." <lists@galador.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router

Hi--

On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Bryan H. wrote:
> Ah, I was unaware that it had been discontinued, perhaps that's the
> reason for the (relatively) low cost.  ;-)

Yes, although a new E2100L is much than $20 more than the refurb'ed 160NL.

> As for dd-wrt, I personally find the extra features (like the built-in
> OpenVPN client and the xbox-kaid) to be useful for my own personal
> needs.

Indeed, although having the option to use dd-wrt (or openwrt) is helpful if the vendor is slow to update their stock firmware in the case of a significant bug or security issue.

> If the stock firmware fills your needs, then there's no reason you
> would *have* to flash with a third-party firmware.  Although, flashing
> that particular model was, in my experience, about as obtrusive as it
> would have been flashing the router with an updated firmware from the
> manufacturer.  Very easy to do.

Agreed.  I flashed mine with both the lasted vendor firmware and dd-wrt version to compare and saved a working config from each, but I'm currently running with the vendor's version for now.  I have a FreeBSD box configured as the DMZ host which does dyndns updates and used to do OpenVPN.  The first I'm still using, the second I don't need to, but if I did, I'd probably move to having the router do it with the dd-wrt firmware instead.

Regards,
--
-Chuck