Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 08:01:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Cownie <richard.cownie@axil.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on 8-way SMP PPro

> That thought had occurred to me ... the surest way to make it happen
> would be for lots of people to express serious interest in buying
> NX801/NX803 machines to run FreeBSD.

Indeed, although the sort of people in that market are probably going
to want some sort of indication that it *will* run properly before they
are likely to commit to it.

The chicken-and-egg problem is always a tough one, but your work is
definitely the first step.

Now, one more question (*).  Do you folks have a loaner system that we
could take to Usenix?  Heck, can we get that sort of power on the floor
there?

> Richard Cownie
>
> DISCLAIMER: speaking for myself as usual, not for Axil Computer Inc

Do Axil have an opinion at all about non-NT operating systems and their
hardware?  There's quite a lot of "wow" power in saying to someone "this
guy at Axil has FreeBSD running on one of *these* (points to picture)",
and it really does lend some serious credibility to the project.
However, it's not the sort of thing that you want to do if Axil
corporate have a dim view of other operating systems, so I'd prefer to
be a little careful about it.

(*) "Ha Ha only serious".