Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:08:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherEZ 8416

Of all the gin joints in all the world, matthew c. mead had to walk
into mine and say:

> On Wed, November 29, 1995 at 11:42:13 (-0800), David Greenman wrote:
[chop]
>  >    The EtherEZ *should* work. It was working for some people...I have one here
>  > and I'll try to test it out soon. In the mean time, I'd try changing the
>  > shared memory address to something different and possible look at your ISA bus
>  > timing and make sure it isn't too fast.
>
> 	Well, I spent about 3 hours with it this evening and couldn't get
> it working.  A few times it would sort of work and hang on the route add
> default, but once I broke it no network applications would work.  tcpdump
> would output about one 25 line page and then not output anymore.  When I
> broke it, it would report that the kernel dropped a lot of packets.
> Anyhow, other times it does the NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length
> 4864.  Any ideas?  I really need to get this card working...  Thanks again!

> -matt

Just another data point: I happen to have one of these cards (though I
should point out that SMC gave it to me for free in exchange for
participating in a phone survey :) and I haven't had any problems
with it with 2.0.5 (I used it to do an FTP install of 2.0.5, in fact).
However, I'm using it with a dead slow machine (386sx/16). How much
bearing this has on things I'm not really sure.

FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct  3 18:44:48 EDT 1995
    wpaul@skynet:/usr/src/sys/compile/SKYNET
CPU: i386DX (386-class CPU)
real memory  = 4194304 (1024 pages)
avail memory = 3354624 (819 pages)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0 at 0x340-0x35f irq 10 maddr 0xe8000 msize 8192 on isa
ed0: address 00:00:c0:12:ce:b2, type SMC8416C/SMC8416BT (16 bit)
bpf: ed0 attached
[...]

When I installed this board, I specifically disabled the plug & pray
option with the SMC EZSTART.EXE program (this machine can't take advantage
of it anyway) and chose some deliberately off the wall settings to help
prevent any conflicts with existing hardware. Shared memory is enabled.
Right now the system is attached to only one other machine (my second home
computer, also running 2.0.5) via coax. This isn't exactly a heavy traffic
environment, however I am using this machine as an NFS server and so far
I haven't had any problems with the card.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.