Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:35:47 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Jamie Hermans" <freebsd@hermans.ca>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request for addition to /etc/services

At 14:17 01/12/2001 -0700, Jamie Hermans wrote:
>How does a person go about getting such an entry added to /etc/services?
>
>upsd            3305/tcp   # upsd (ports/sysutils/nut - Network UPS Tools)

   Well, I'd imagine that the first step would be to make sure that IANA
hasn't assigned that port to someone else:

bash-2.05$ fetch -qo - http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers | grep 3305
odette-ftp      3305/tcp   ODETTE-FTP
odette-ftp      3305/udp   ODETTE-FTP

   Once you've picked an unused port, you should register your choice with
IANA (http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl) to make sure that
nobody else decides to use it.
   As other people have pointed out, the final step would be to send-pr a
patch to include the appropriate new lines.

Colin Percival