Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:37:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems mounting root

Replying to your self not once but twice looks kinda funny in the message
list. :-)

Anyway, I can help you; this is probably the number one thing I deal with
on this list.  Which is why I have boilerplate.  :-)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Bond, Jeffery wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a partition on my PC. I have two hard
> disks, one primary master, one secondary master. I have set aside a
> partition on the secondary master for FreeBSD, the rest is for Win95.

There is your problem -- the system doesn't number the disks properly if
you have a device in the middle (like a CD).

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).