Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:27:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: netatalk, samba 2.0 and freebsd 3.0

We run a digital media firm here (digital video, audio, graphics, etc).  So we
don't move lots of files, just really big ones.

We have just this setup, although we are running 2.2.8-STABLE.

Netatalk works fine here.  Although it can be a little slow, but no slower than
appletalk on ethernet anyway.  Since there is a mixture of MacOS 7.5 and 8.x
clients on the network, it's slower as well.

Having said that, we have found it faster many times to move the file to the
server, and then to another machine.  That way all the Macs don't have to have
File Sharing on.  They just mount the hard drive.

Make sure you run the asun patches to netatalk 1.4b2, since he seems to be the
only person currently developing netatalk.  If you use the port, it'll take
care of that.

It's one of those things that I set up two years ago, and have forgotten about,
since it runs without a hitch.

Patrick

On 19-Jan-99 Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has used FreeBSD 3.0 to do large amounts of
> filesharing via samba and netatalk.
>
> I know you can use sambe for roaming profiles (which is needed)
>
> what about appletalk?
>
> we have 50+ desktop clients that need a fast and reliable CIFS server and
> NT can't seem to cut the mustard...
>
> i think freebsd can handle it, but i've not heard much talk about netatalk
> and freebsd...
>
> any suggestions would be helpful...
>
> any things i should be wary of?  anyone with a large site experiance want
> to comment?  it'd be much appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> -Alfred

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9