Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:38:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mylex Flashpoint LW

Daniel C. Sobral wrote...
> Mmmm.... There is some interesting points about this card. "Plug and
> Play with SCAM Level I compliance". Does this have anything to do
> with our "CAM"?

No, nothing to do with CAM.  SCAM is a protocol that (I think) allows
devices to have their SCSI ID's assigned automatically.

> Also:
> > All major desktop
> > operating systems are supported including: Windows 95,
> >         Windows NT, OS/2 Warp, OS/2 2.XX, Windows for Workgroups,
> > DOS/Windows 3.x, UnixWare, NetWare 3.1X,
> >         4.X, SCO UNIX, Solaris, Linux
>
> Linux? Anyone knows if this is binary-only driver or it actually
> comes with source code?

It comes with source.

> A friend of mine wants to buy this card. He says that if it is not
> supported, he will write the driver for it. I'm concerned about the
> availability of proper documentation if he takes this way. Anyone
> wanting to share useful insights?

The Mylex/BusLogic Flashpoint cards are not supported under ANY version of
FreeBSD.  Their MultiMaster cards are supported under FreeBSD, though.

Justin has a Flashpoint card, possibly multiple cards, and I believe he
intends to write a driver for it.  You should be able to get documentation
on the Flashpoint cards from Mylex.

Really, unless your friend knows something about writing drivers, he would
be better off getting a supported card.  Adaptec cards are well supported,
and would be a safe bet.  If he's concerned about price, he can get an
Advansys or NCR-based board.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry