Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:53:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading to larger HDD

Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com> types:
> Hi all :o)
>
> I am finally moving my server from 700Mb to 4.6Gb and need some advice :
>
> I am not interested in keeping the old drive in the system, and just want to
> run the new one :o)
>
> What is the best way to do this ???
>
> I thought about a clean install, but as all the config is nearly the way I
> want it, was wondering how do I "copy" the old drive to the new.
>
> I found a cheat sheet on mostgraveconcern, but this was written for 3.4 and
> as I am running 4.1.1R (will cvsup now I have the space to 4.3R :o)) I am
> not sure the idea will still work ???

Use the FAQ, Kat.

This covers a lot of the issues discussed here. It is targeted at
copying your current installation, not copying configuration
information to a new install.

The best way to deal with copying configuration information is to
prepare for it from day one, and keep a log of everything that you
touch, and why. Given the right tools, a restore of system information
can be as trivial as a issuing a single comnand.

	<mike