Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:51:10 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        doug@fledge.watson.org
Cc:        doug@safeport.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update question.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:49:18 -0400 (EDT), doug@safeport.com wrote:
> After seeing if xorg and twm would just work, I did remove all packages with
> pkg_delete. That did not clear out all of /usr/local.

You can do a manual cleanup of /usr/local, entirely removing it
and then reconstructing its structure from the /etc/mtree file.

	# cd /usr/local
	# rm -rf *
	# mtree -f /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist
	# mtree -f /etc/mtree/BSD.x11.dist

(Not tested, see the manpage for reference.)

That should give you a clean environment for a full re-installation.
Also note that /var/db/pkg could be manually deleted in this case.

> When pkg_add of perl
> failed, I just built that. pkg_add of xorg worked. pkg_add of xdm got an error
> something along the line of unliking lib/X11/auth... so I deleted that dir and
> did pkg_add again. This installed but xdm fails on execution with libutil.so.9
> missing.

Seems that there are complications with leftover stuff in /usr/local.

> monhegan:~> uname -a
> FreeBSD monhegan.boltsys.com 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0:
>    Tue Jun 12 01:47:53 UTC 2012
>    root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> But make index thinks (I think) this is an 8.x system. pkg_add did add from
> ...lastest..9.0 for xorg and xdm. AFAIK there are no 8.x components.

You could install the ports tree from a 9.0 installation media
or simply use CVS to obtain (or at least update) it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany