Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:44:33 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from STABLE to 5.0

Thus spake Kirk R. Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu>:
> 2) is point [8] 'In order to have a kernel that can run the 4.x binaries
> needed to do an installworld, you must include the COMPAT_FREEBSD4
> option in your kernel.  Failure to do so may leave you with a system
> that is hard to boot to recover.' only in reference to those who track
> CURRENT? I am a little unclear as to the distinction between STABLE and
> CURRRENT with this release...

If you want to run binaries (e.g. ports) compiled for FreeBSD 4.X,
you need the option.  If you don't, then you can remove it.
However, if you remove it, your old world may not work with the
new kernel.  Therefore, at least for the initial 4.X->5.0 upgrade,
you should leave COMPAT_FREEBSD4 in the kernel config until you
have installed a new world.