Date:      Tue, 22 May 2007 13:29:14 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Goran Gajic <ggajic@afrodita.rcub.bg.ac.yu>
Subject:   Re: Kernel hanging after today cvsup at Timecounter "TSC

--pUlgu49b0Z8TrXtg

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:48:50PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
=20
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Goran Gajic wrote:
>=20
> >After today cvsup and installing of new kernel system refuses to boot.
> >It hangs at mentioned line. Here is minicom.cap:
> <snip>
> >sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=3D0x100>
> >sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> >sio1: port may not be enabled
> >vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
> >Timecounter "TSC
> >
> >Kernel built on May 17th boots fine..
>=20
> I saw an identical problem when I booted a kernel from yesterday with=20
> kernel modules from a week or so earlier, only mine froze before getting =
to=20
> the Timecounter line, rather, immediately after the vga0 line.  Perhaps=
=20
> we're looking at an issue with mixing modules with a kernel from=20
> before/after the compiler upgrade?

I'm about as certain as I can be that ssuch "module-mixing" did not
cause the hang that I saw on my laptop today, as I was able to
successfully boot from a kernel built (along with world, at the time) on
19 May (after the gcc 4 import).

In my case, the keyboard was unresponsive (e.g., didn't go into "scroll
lock" mode when I used the keyboard chord to request that), and the fan
started gaining speed pretty rapidly, so I elected to power-cycle the
machine aftter a few seconds of trying less disruptive means of getting
its attention.

I believe the last message displayed had the word "probe" in it.  I am
certain that the system hadn't tried to mount any file systems yet.

Sorry I don't have more specifics handy.  I did save the hanging kernel,
of course.

Peace,
david
--=20
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.

--pUlgu49b0Z8TrXtg

--pUlgu49b0Z8TrXtg--