Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:08:02 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Cyril Brion <cbri@saios.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help please

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:47:37 +0200, Cyril Brion wrote:

> I can create a new user with adduser, but when the user is logged with
> his log name, he cannot do operations like create a file, or compile a
> .c file,... because its directory is write protected.

So the obvious question is _why_ is the user's home directory not
writable to the user? You're the only person who can answer this. :-)

Possible answers are:

     1) You selected a read-only filesystem for the user's home
        directory. Don't do that. :-)

     2) You selected an invalid home directory for the user. Unlikely,
        but make sure that the home directory exists. You can do this by
        searching the file /etc/passwd for the username:

	    grep ^username: /etc/passwd

	    e.g.:

	    grep ^sheldonh: /etc/passwd
	    sheldonh:*:1000:0:Sheldon Hearn:/home/sheldonh:/usr/local/bin/bash

	Check the second-last field.

You can check the permissions of your user's home directory with this
command:

	ls -ld /path/to/home/directory

	e.g.:

	ls -ld /home/sheldonh
	drwxr-xr-x  21 sheldonh  wheel  2048 Oct 12 14:06 /home/sheldonh

> to change this manually from root?

As root, you can change the user's home directory with the ``chpass''
command:

	chpass username

Ciao,
Sheldon.