Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:47:28 -0700
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libfreetype.so.9 errors

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 10:18:21AM -0700, Beeblebrox wrote:
> Latest compiled ports result in below message for several binaries:
> Shared object "libfreetype.so.9" not found, required by "chrome"
>
> So far the ports I have seen this are www/midori, www/chromium,
> editors/libreoffice; but I have not tested all ports installed on the
> system.
>
> I have read UPDATING, and it does not apply to my situation since I do a
> full poudriere run of all ports on the system before each "# pkg upgrade -r
> myrepo". Recent freetype update (20140416) should therefore not cause any
> issue for me.
>
> Is this a problem with the specific ports listed, or a libfreetype error?
> I'd like to know before I add a libfreetype.so.9 entry to /etc/libmap.conf.
> In /usr/local/lib: libfreetype.a / libfreetype.so / libfreetype.so.6.11.2 /
> libfreetype.la / libfreetype.so.6

I may be wrong in this, but I suspect that the UPDATING entry
from 20140416 -does- apply.

It seems print/freetype2 has changed the version of libfreetype
it installs from lib/libfreetype.so.9 to lib/libfreetype.so.6.11.2.
This will mean (I think) that any port depending on libfreetype will
need to be rebuilt, linking against the new (but lower-numbered)
library. If not, then they will be looking for the old library, and
failing when they don't find it.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Portland, OR USA