Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:36:18 +0200
From:      flupke <flupke@mail.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   building kernel in 4.0

I'm not too unfamiliar with the unix environement, as I've been using
linux for about 3 or 4 years, now, but I'm a brand new user of freeBSD.
I installed the 4.0 verion yesterday. So please don't flame me if my
questions have a too "newbie" level, or if I'm adressing my request to
the wrong list.
I wanted to build a new kernel following the instructions described in
the handbook in order to use my TV card, but I encounterd several
problems :

1) I discovered that the handbook has been written for the 3.4 freeBSD
version, and that the execution of /usr/sbin/config reported some
obsolete (or even unknown) keywords and drivers in my config file. Could
someone tell me where I can find a manual to configure the kernel I'm
running?

2) I use lilo to boot my machine. I read that I could choose the kernel
to boot with the freeBSD boot loader, but can I do this with lilo?
Because of course, I'm afraid to build a bad configured kernel.

3) All the devices are not listed in the handbook, so I wonder : do I
just have to add the lines 'device bktr0' and 'device vr0' in order to
have my bttv and D-Link cards recognized by the kernel?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Flupke