Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:10:41 -0700
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

> The practice I am beginning to follow (and what seems to be the most common
> practice) is:
>
> a) cvsup weekly
> b) check the -stable list daily for any interesting new merges (AKA MFC's)
> c) if I see an new security fixes, or anything that sounds like it would
> affect my system in a positive manner, build world.

I used to do something like this.  But I finally decided that step a)
is unnecessary, and the cvsup should be folded into step c).  Why
cvsup weekly if you're not going to build it?  A good reason NOT to is
that most of the time your sources won't match your system,
potentially making it harder to debug your system if you have
problems.  Another reason is to not bog down the cvsup servers.

--
Fred Gilham                                 gilham@csl.sri.com
[My tutors] got bored sooner than I, and laid down a general rule