Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:16:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        kris@hub.freebsd.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reaping fortran cruft

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Steve Kargl wrote:
>
> > I was going to fix fsplit.  Yes, I program in Fortran (note the
> > proper spelling of Fortran).  No, I don't use fsplit.
>
> A rewrite is certainly desperately needed :)
>
> > We might also want to remove fpr(1).
>
> Noted. Are there any other crufty Fortran candidates you can do without?

No. I haven't found any other programs.

> If no-one disagrees with this, I'll move them both to ports (probably in a
> combined fortran-utils port) in a couple of days. Would you like to be the
> maintainer? :)

The dates in fsplit suggest that it hasn't seen any development
since 1983.  The functionality it provided then can be accomplished
with vi and cp.

I haven't looked at fpr, but you can get fancy program listings
with a2ps (and probably apsfilter) which is (are) already in the
ports collections.

I say kill them (of course asbestos under garments might be needed).
It should be noted that cvs will maintain a copy of both in the attic,
so anyone who wants the source can get it.

--
Steve