Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Von Essen <essenz@essenz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 Tag...

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, John Von Essen wrote:

> I am confused about something.
>
> I just did a cvsup to RELENG_4. But after building my kernel, it shows
> 4.8-RC, not 4.7-STABLE
>
> Is there a reason for this?

Yes. RELENG_4 is a branch in cvs. Things like "4.8-RC" and "4.7-STABLE"
are just descriptive strings placed in /sys/conf/newvers.sh to refer to
specific points in time in the development process.

> Also, mergemaster completely obliterated my system. Had to copy everything
> back from by backup.

Good thing you made a backup then. :)  Can you provide more details about
how mm obliterated your system? Since the defaults for it are always to do
nothing, I have a hard time blaming the tool here....

Doug