Date:      Thu, 04 May 2006 22:41:18 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj13@web.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weirdness with Xorg, x11/nvidia-driver and GLX

Hi!
I don't know if the following behavior is normal or not.
The second but last time the xorg-server port was updated and I
installed the new version it crashed every time I wanted to use an
OpenGL application. The first time I noticed this was when I wanted to
play games/linux-enemyterritory but later on I saw that it happened with
any OpenGL application, even a simple call to glxinfo had the same
effect. The result was always the same: the screen switched to ttyv0
without killing Xorg and it freezed like that. The only thing to which
it reacted were ACPI calls (i.e. it shutted down properly when I hit the
power button).
I rebuilt the nvidia-driver just to see if it changes something or if I
see something strange things during the compilation. I was astonished to
see that after having done this everything worked fine again just like
before. I thought that this was something that happened once due to
mysterious circumstances and would never happen again so I forgot about it.
However when the Xorg port was updated once again yesterday I saw that
exactly the same problem happened again. This time it was also solved by
rebuilding nvidia-driver.

My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 5200 FX
Version of nvidia-driver: 1.0.8178_1
Version of xorg-server: 6.9.0_3

uname -a
FreeBSD 10.0.0.11 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Mar 27
17:05:15 CEST 2006     root@10.0.0.11:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HYPOCENTER  i386