Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:53:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Sean C. Farley" <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        B Briggs <rcbdyndns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd blank and format problems

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, B Briggs wrote:

> Sorry to have to bring this up again, seems like it was an issue 4
> years ago, but I don't know if it's really resolved.
>
> If I do:
> #burncd -f /dev/acd0 blank
> then burncd will sleep forever.
> (I have to Ctrl-C for it to exit)
> It doesn't really  hang, but please read this:
>
> (I looked at the source code, the only thing I could figure that
> CDRIOCPROGRESS is ALWAYS returning 0. Inside a while(1), that will
> never break;
>
> Same results with erase instead of blank.
>
> On that pr (44803), user says blank worked, however, even when I Ctl-C
> and break after a while, any data that I write on the disk is invalid:
> I mean that if I copy it, it will not pass diff.
>
> Now this could be a problem with my DRD-RW device, but all of the
> other ports work with it.
>
> So is this my configuration problem? I doubt it, since the usr/ports
> stuff work ok (cdrecord, growifofs, cdrdao...)  I've spent a lot of
> time on burncd, and it just doesn't work for me.

I have something similar[1] on my ATAPI CD-RW drive.  It is the ioctl()
that is the problem since it is always returning zero.

The reason the ports you mention work (at least cdrecord) is that they
use the SCSI emulator atapicam(4) as opposed to the ATAPI driver itself.

Another burncd bug I have is kern/96171[2].  That is in case anyone
wants to fix that too.  :)

Sean
   1. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/83702
   2. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/96171