Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:11:33 +0200
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testers: FPU changes

--1i4ArEBZfe4JFxzw

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 01:30:54AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 4:43 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

>=20
>=20
> I did some more tests post commit today using the aesni kld taken
> directly from HEAD.  BTW, do you plan to MFC this as well ?
Sure, I will merge aesni(4), it was the only reason to work on the
kern_fpu in stable/8.

I want some pause between KPI and driver MFC, to ease the handling
of possible mismerge or fixing latent bugs (since stable has much
larger testing base then HEAD).
>=20
> Results at the bottom of http://www.tancsa.com/fpu.html
>=20
> It certainly makes a difference with geli. IPSEC and userland stuff, not
> so much. The CPU itself is crazy fast, so its hard to see a difference
> in things like ssh and even ipsec didnt yield any differences.  For ssh
> and userland stuff I guess once there is an aesni userland engine, this
> would probably help over the cryptodev interface.

Yes, the small blocks encoding/decoding has a large overhead of loop setup
code.

Thank you.

--1i4ArEBZfe4JFxzw

--1i4ArEBZfe4JFxzw--