Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache and mods from ports

I've built apache and mods from tarballs many times, but ports looks like
it could save me alot of time (particulary with mod_ssl), so I thought I'd
give it a go.

The only thing is, I really want to install it under /usr/local/apache
("classic Apache"), instead of the default scattered all over /usr/local.

It looks simple enough to do.  I just edited the Makefile under
/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl to --with-layout=Apache instead of the
default --with-layout=FreeBSD and --suexec-docroot=${PREFIX}/htdocs.

Judging by the contents of
/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.24/config.layout
I would have thought this would take care of all the other variables
($PREFIX, etc), but it didn't.  What's worse, 'make deinstall' can't find
where I installed it, even if I mv config.status and edit the Makefile
layout variable.

If somebody knows the "correct" way to install apache and mods from ports
to something other than the default paths, before I go editing all the
files and screwing things up further, I'd appreciate a clue or two.

up@3.am							    http://3.am