Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 1998 19:22:47 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

>dswartz@druber.com said:
>>Here's an off-the-cuff idea: since the confusing usage of swap as a
>>caching mechanism is only a performance optimization, how bogus would
>>it be to not report it.  Lie.  If my workstation has 64MB of swap set
>>up, 8 of which is being used for real backing store, and 12 of which
>>is being used to cache filesystem pages, have swapinfo lie and report
>>only 8MB in use.
>
>The 4.4 BSD interaction between physical pages used for virtual memory and
>physical pages used for file system cache doesn't work that way, and I can't
>imagine the FreeBSD core team adding in such a botch.  It is never a good
>idea to send a dirty file system cache page to swap.

   ...and of course we didn't. I don't know where the confusion started on
this, but what we page out to swap is the same thing we've always paged out
to swap: 'anonymous' memory that is not backed by a file. Modified file pages
(non-COW) are backed by the file and are never written to swap.

>What you see in swap under heavy I/O load, is dirty process virtual memory
>pages moved out of real memory to make way for an expanding file system
>cache.  There's no reason to read them back until the process faults for
>them; it might exit first, allowing you to just abandon them.

   Right.

-DG

David Greenman