Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:45:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man pages

> >:      critical region of      control
> >: The driver may not call any functions external to itself in between
> >: the time it calls ddi_enter_critical() and the time it calls
> >: ddi_exit_critical().
> >
> > Hmmm.  That's what I need, with the above exception being too
> > restrictive.  I'd need to call functions that frob the hardware. :-)
>
> This would allow us to get rid of most of the (ab)uses of *_intr as it is right
> now.  If we were to use a more abstract name for this than just
> intr_restore/disable, would critical_enter() and critical_exit() work?  If I do
> this, I may not even mess with the current set of foo_intr() functions as they
> may turn out to no longer be useful.  Some things like the ACPI code would need
> to be taught to not assume cli/sti though.  (Intel's ACPICA code is
> Linux-centric in some places, but I think they are very open to fixes, so I
> don't expect that will be a problem.)

Personally, I like the 'intr' aspect- this is, in fact, what we are doing.

ddi_enter_critical/ddi_exit_critical as an attempt to be a bit more generic,
and the restriction against calling other functions is too restrictive now
(IMO)- you could interpret this as prohibiting calls to the PROM, for
instance.

-matt