Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:04:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        portsuser@larseighner.com (Lars Eighner)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors/joe + textproc/aspell: dependency problem?

Lars Eighner wrote:
 > On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > joe has a dependency on aspell (both build dependency _and_
 > > run dependency), so I expected it to be recorded in the
 > > package database.  But it isn't.  pkg_info -r joe\* and
 > > pkg_info -R aspell\* don't report this dependency.
 >
 > joe does not really depend upon aspell.  It comes with a macro that assumes
 > aspell, and of course the macro won't work without aspell.  The joe binary
 > uses different configuration files depending upon how it is called (i.e.
 > one to make it act like pico if you call joe with jpico, act like emacs if
 > called as jmacs, etc.)
 >
 > The binary runs fine without aspell.  In fact you can edit the configuration
 > files, which are plain ascii so that one of joe's faces uses ispell, one
 > uses aspell, and another has no mapping for a speller.  If you had ispell
 > instead of aspell you could simply edit the configuration of the one(s) you
 > want to use.  The joe macro language is very easy, but just changing one
 > letter in the spelling filter is a true no-brainer.
 >
 > It would be wrong for the joe build to fail without aspell because aspell
 > has nothing whatever to do with the joe binary.  It would be great if the
 > build could rewrite the spelling macro according to which speller it could
 > find or disable the macro if it couldn't find any.
 >
 > With joe you can filter text through just about anything that can read from
 > STDIN and write to STDOUT: sed, tr, etc., including really heavy stuff like
 > (o)nsgmls.  But it would be silly to say joe depends on them.  It's the
 > bundled macro that uses aspell, and it can easily be edited to use anything
 > else.

Yeah, I know all of that.  I'm using joe for about 20 years.
That doesn't explain the problem I'm seeing, though.
(But Erik explained that very well.)

Actually I don't need no freakin' spell checker at all, but
the joe port insists on installing one.  If it weren't for
my lazyness I had submitted a patch for WITHOUT_ASPELL a
long time ago ...  ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer