Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:34:47 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Julian's netowrking challenge 2005

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
[ ... ]
> PS: I'm seeing more and more requests about routing limitations in
> FreeBSD everyday, such as lack of multiple routing tables support, lack
> of source routing (as well as higher level protocol based routing).
> Are there actually some projects that are being worked on to overcome
> this ?

Sure.  You can use IPFW to forward packets out via any interface you please,
based on any of the matching critera that IPFW's rulesets permit.  You can also
run BGP/EGP sessions, OSPF, or other advanced routing protocols via routing
daemons like zebra/quagga/gated/whatever in the ports collection.

[ Most people don't understand Internet routing very well, they don't
understand subnetting or supernetting, they don't understand CIDR, and they
encounter problems which arise because they don't know how to set up a network
topology which is appropriate for the actual task they want to perform. ]

For the current problem, if you've got two servers which offer services to the
Internet, and have public IPs assigned to them, putting these boxes behind NAT
is causing problems because the topology doesn't match what the machines are
actually doing.  Set up what E. Zwicky calls a "screened subnet architecture"
by moving these boxes into a seperate DMZ subnet, set up a local route for the
rest of the clients on the firewall which indicate that these boxes can be
reached via fxp0 rather than fxp1, so that traffic from the clients on the LAN
stays local rather than going out through one T1 and back in via the other.

--
-Chuck