Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:23:18 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-vuxml@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vuln.xml *is* XML (was Re: vuln.xml is not XML)

At Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:15:02 -0500,
Jacques Vidrine wrote:
> > I refer to my previous message regarding the difficulties in parsing
> > vuln.xml.  I have since learned that any markup (e.g. <p>) should be
> > be in
> > a CDATA section.
> >
> > See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/ and look at section 2.7.
> >
> >    CDATA sections begin with the string "<![CDATA[" and end with the
> >    string "]]>":]
> >
> > I propose that markup be enclosed with a CDATA section.
>
> No this is absolutely wrong :-)  The XHTML is embedded with VuXML...
> the whole document is one XML document.  Some elements are in the VuXML
> namespace, while others are in the XHTML namespace.  Markup cannot
> exist in a CDATA section--- if it is in a CDATA section, it is *not*
> markup but *text content*.

Both are correct.  In good old XML world, we should use CDATA section
to quote external markup.  On the other hand, VuXML lives in XML +
Namespace world (see related recommendations).

> I saw your earlier message about XML::Node, but since I am not familiar
> with that (or XML::Parser), I did not understand what problem you were
> having.  Could you try to describe it differently?

I'm not sure XML::Parser can handle namespace correctly.  If it cannot
do such, parser will confuse when it reads markups with namespace.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project