Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:36:23 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Archiving packages-5.3-release

--=-SCfjxtH7Ywwi/LGyXxeu

As we progress through the release of 6.0 some more package trees will
wind up coming online so I'm trying to remove some of the older ones.
The secteam still supports 5.3-RELEASE so totally removing that isn't
possible at this point.  But there is general agreement we don't need to
keep the whole package tree online, just the pieces that help towards
making a clean basic install.

So...  Today I did this:

1) Copied all of the 5.3 Release related bits to the FreeBSD-Archive
site.

2) On ftp-master I removed the releases/5.3-RELEASE/packages symbolic
link, and replaced that with the packages/ directory that was on disc1
of the release ISO.  This is much much smaller than the full-blown
release package tree.

I'll let things settle in this state until Wednesday, at which point I
will remove the packages-5.3-release tree from the ports area.

Those of you who sync specific pieces of the tree instead of the whole
thing and/or those of you who try to archive the older release bits
might have some adjustments to make.  If there are any problems or
questions let me know.

Thanks.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith