Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 10:00:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0005071358090.79947-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
: Curious about that, I haven't been following it too closely, but I know
: cdma works on codes, not timing ... how do they get timing (other than bit
: clock recovery)?

cdma does work on timing.  It effectively transmits all the data all
the time.  Phones need to know when the start of frame is, which means
they need to know what time it is.  They can get that from the last
start of frame, and the rate of start of frames they are seeing.  cdma
and tdma are different in some ways, but they both have to know what
time it is to work.

Warner