Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 100 23:40:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Sven Brandenburg <y0002257@rzpool01.rz.tu-bs.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Difficult Task: Oracle 8i EE on FBSD?

I`ve received numerous postings regarding this topic and
its progress via private mail - the topic seems to be interesting
to a number of people, maybe we can start bugging Oracle for a
native FBSD version ;-)

The good news is: You *can* run Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition
for Linux under FBSD. All Oracle demons (except one) work.
The bad news: You have to do the installation using a native
Linux (I`ve done it using SuSE 6.3 following closely the installation
guide on their website), transfer the complete /bin
/lib /sbin /usr/lib [..] stuff and the oracle installation itself
to your BSD box. (All Linux libs under /compat/linux, please)

After doing this, you *should* be able to start the oracle instance,
create a database and do some simple SQL statements.
There`s one major drawback: the listener doesn`t start.
So, without it, the whole thing is barely usable but the listener
just complains about some missing files and I didn`t
try to relink the executable (http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/howto-oracle.html)

I`ll give it a try within the next days - the progess so far
looks promising.

Sven
--
#include <disclaimer.h>