Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:56:43 -0400
From:      "Tamouh Hakmi" <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getaddrinfo() failed in Apache 2.2 + FreeBSD 6.1

Hi,

I'm working on a problem with Apache 2.2 + PHP on FreeBSD 6.1 x86

Recently, I've upgraded from Apache 1.3 to v2.2 , and since then PHP is =
unable to resolve hostnames unless they're specified in /etc/hosts . The =
error we'd get would be:

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: hostname nor servname =
provided, or not known in /home/username/public_html/testphp.php on line =
2

This is for a simple <? include(http://www.google.com); ?> function. I =
know it is not a DNS problem, because if PHP is setup as a CGI function, =
it works fine. It is only in DSO mode that PHP malfunction like this. =
I'm also having no issues with our resolver for mail, ping or any other =
services.

Some people were pointing out that this is a fault of FreeBSD reaching a =
maximum number of file descriptors. Others said this can't be resolved =
until upgraded to FBSD 6.3 which I'm not planning to go through. There =
are several hundred domains hosted on the server, but all was working =
fine with Apache 1.3.

 Our VNODES are a bit high, but haven't seen any errors:

server# sysctl kern.maxvnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 100000
server# sysctl vfs.numvnodes
vfs.numvnodes:  84805

server# sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 65536
kern.maxfilesperproc: 32767

Later on I've discovered that if I comment about 500 CustomLog entries =
in Apache, the errors will disappear. This seems like an issue with a =
certain limit with open files.

Anyone be able to guide me in the right direction here?

Thanks,=20

Tamouh