Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recovering from clobbered boot manager?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org> wrote:
> > So, whats the easist way to recover from a clobbered boot manager in
> > FreeBSD?  I kind of naively assumed that this would be easy to do from an
> > installation CDROM (4.3-RELEASE) but I failed to get it to work.  Going
> > Configure->Fdisk in sysinstall didn't work for me.
>
>      For the basic procedure, see the FAQ.  However, one important piece
> missing from the FAQ is that you may have to use the "boot0cfg" command
> to enable LBA booting (this is REQUIRED if your FreeBSD partition is
> above the 1024-cylinder/8GB limit, assuming your BIOS supports it, and
> virtually all recent BIOSes do).  See the boot0cfg man page for more
> info.
>
>      Note that the boot0cfg uses the term, "packet", to refer to LBA
> booting.  Among other things, you need to use the boot0cfg option,
> "-o packet".  Read the man page.

Okay, the difficulty though is that I had clobbered my boot manager with a
Win2K install (dual-booting) and the CDROM doesn't give you the boot0cfg
command.  I had to install onto a 2nd hard drive and then boot into that
instance of FreeBSD and use boot0cfg from there.  It'd be nice to have the
option of doing that from the CDROM.