Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:08:25 -0700
From:      "Carl Forsythe" <cforsythe@avantgo.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw+nat rules question

Hi folks,
  Some questions about rule processing with ipfw and natd, if this is =
better suited for -questions let me know and I'll send it off to there.

Ok the situation/network layout is thus:

Box A provides NAT/ipfw services to Box B which is on a private network, =
Box A is dual homed to Net A and Net B. Box B has certain services on it =
that need to be accessible to a block of addresses only, or in some =
cases only a certain other server. Box B also has a requirement that it =
needs to make outbound requests to an external service provider. Box A =
acts as the default gateway for Box B.  Net A is firewalled from the =
internet by another firewall entirely.

I setup an aliased IP on Box A to represent Box B to the machines that =
need to talk to it. Was this necessary for external servers to talk to =
Box B, or would normal port redirection be sufficient in this case? I do =
however want Box B to be pingable for our monitoring system which =
resides out on Net A.

So the questions I have at this point:

1) Using the redirect_port function of natd, can I specify a network =
with mask instead of a host for the third argument? i.e. redirect_port =
tcp Box_B:80 Box_A_Alias:80 Net_A/24

Failing the above, where in the ipfw ruleset would I place any rules for =
traffic destined to Box B, before the natd divert or after it? If after =
the divert, what IP address do I use? the external Box A alias, or the =
translated Box B address? What does the source address look like after =
the divert? Has it been translated to Box A's Net B address at that =
point?

/sbin/ipfw add pass tcp from Net A/24 to ??? 80 setup

So to sum it up, Box B has a limited number of services that only need =
to be available to servers that are on Net A. Box A provides NAT/ipfw =
services to Box B. Box B needs to be able to talk to an external web =
server(s), Box B needs to be able to resolve DNS, Box B needs to talk to =
our NTP server.

What I'm not grasping is what address to use in the ipfw rules to =
identify Box B and where in the rules to place those checks, before the =
natd divert using the external alias address or after the divert using ?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Carl Forsythe