Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:43:07 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: shell script to remove dated files

OK, a change of direction: Personally, I am quite a fan of newsyslog (see
the man page).

The only catch is that you need to have known file names!  If your
requirement involves trashing files whose names are variable, this might not
help.

By default it is used to keep things in order in /var/log , but there's no
reason not to use it elsewhere.  And it has 'kool' features, like rolling
'file' to 'file.0', then to 'file.1', etc.  and you can limit it by size, or
by time, etc.

Just my 2c worth.
Patrick.

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 06:04, Paul Branston wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 05:31:44AM +0800, David Okeby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I write a shell script that removes old files?  Say something of
> > the order of two weeks old.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
> > david@okeby.com
>
> have a read at the find man page. You need somethimg like
>
> find /path -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;

I recommend -atime instead.  THis way if they've been reading it, it won't
vanish on them.  Of course it depends on the purpose of the script.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)