Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:39:17 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caching nameserver question - I need a spot here . . .

# leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org / 2003-01-27 17:15:29 -0500:
> Hey all.  I'm finally getting around to setting up a caching dns
> server.  Pretty confusing from my angle.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
> named enaabled in /etc/rc.conf
> cd to /etc/namedb and run sh make-localhost
>
> and the following in /etc/namedb/named.conf:
>
> options {
> 	directory "/etc/namedb";
> 	forward first;
> 	forwarders {
> 		151.203.0.84;
> 		151.202.0.84;
> 	};
> 	listen-on { 10.8.20.5; };
> 	version "surely you must be joking"
> 	query-source address * port 53;
> };
>

> zone "." {
> type hint;
> file "named.root";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
> type master;
> file "localhost.rev";
> };

    are you setting up a cache, or an authoritative server?
    IOW, do you want Bind to resolve names for clients (they'll will
    have it in /etc/resolv.conf and equivalents), or do you want it to
    publish names?

    You are doing both, but if you want to have this Bind resolving
    names for clients (external cache), being authoritative for
    0.0.127.in-addr.arpa doesn't IMO make sense.