Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:22:01 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        "ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL" <MROTHENBERG@exchange1.PRIA.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Network trickles ......

RM> if two machines connected to a straight hub talk at the same time I think
RM> you get a collision. If its a buffered hub, sometimes called a switched hub,
RM> or a switch then each connection to the device is really its own collision
RM> domain. then when the two talk at the same time one of them gets buffered.

RM> By going to half-duplex you are saying you have a straight hub and not the
RM> buffering kind.

RM> -Michael, who can be wrong and doesn't mind being put straight

RM> <snip>

RM> Alfred Perlstein writes:
>> * Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [001010 09:28] wrote:
>> > Could you provide more information about that? Or a pointer to where I
>> > can educate myself?
>> The manual page for you ethernet driver "man rl" and ifconfig "man
>> ifconfig"

RM> Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I know how to set these things if I need
RM> to. I'm curious about why I would want to use half duplex for a hub
RM> vs. full duplex for a switch vs. ??? for two machines talking via an
RM> X-over cable.

RM>         Thanx,
RM>         <mike

You don't need a hub or a switch if you have a crossover cable.  What
Alfred was talking about was that hubs only work in half duplex while
switches can (and usually do) work in full duplex.  If you have
neither, then don't worry about it.

With full duplex there is less of a chance for collisions.  That is
why busier networks use swithes.

Best regards,
 Neill
 freebsd@nc.rr.com