Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:26:09 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>
Subject:   Re: Serial console issues

On 17 Jun 2002, at 14:41, djf2 boldly uttered:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>
> > I'm going to guess that you may need to do is recompile your kernel
> > with the following option for sio[x]:
> >
> > options		CONSPEED=115200
> >

> > (see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT)
> >

> > Phil
>
>      Unfortunately I tried that and it doesn't appear to work.  I saw that
> option mentioned in the handbook, but thought it only applied to special
> circumstances or if sio was on another port than com1.  Any other ideas?
> Thanks,
>
> Don

Dunno, unfortunately I'm not much of a serial console expert myself,
as I'm getting ready to setup my first box of that sort shortly.

I would however note that the README.serial document in the
..src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot directory dates from 1999, and given a
conflict between the two I'd be inclined to favor the handbook in
general since it is updated regularly. (the handbook section 15.6
seems to be based on README.serial though)

I see another factor, looking through the handbook - if you're trying
to get a login prompt, you have to tell the getty on that port what
speed you want, ie in the /etc/ttys file.  Did you do that? (Handbook
section 15.6.4.4)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium