Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:56:44 -0600
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Johan Kuuse <kuuse@redantigua.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with crt1.o and init tls

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:30:43 -0600, Johan Kuuse <kuuse@redantigua.com> wrote:
> Probably the best tip I could get, thanks.
> boot kernel.old
> now gives
> uname -a
> FreeBSD qc.gua.net 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE ...
> and I'm now able to answer this mail from the FreeBSD box, but
> make buildworld
> causes the same error message:
>
> /usr/lib/crt1.o: In function '_start':
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x64): undefined reference to '_init_tls'
> *** Error code 1
>

> Q1. Should I start all over syncing the source code?

A resync of the source code wouldn't hurt.  But it won'e fix the problem either.

> Q2. Should it be enough to 'make cleandir'and the 'make buildworld'?
> Q3. Should the flag -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE be used with 'make <whatever>', that
> is, not only with 'make cleandir'?
> Q4. Should I try using the old kernel in single user mode? boot -s kernel.old

The problem is that you have some 6-CURRENT libraries that replaced
your 5.2 libraries.  You need to reinstall the 5.2 libraries and
remove the 6-CURRENT libraries.

If you have the install CD for 5.2.1, just mount it, and the change to
where the library distribution is and run the install.sh script.

You may also have to do this for the bin, sbin, usr.bin, and usr.sbin
distributions also.

Then try building 6x with:

make OSRELDATE=0 buildworld

Scot